Senior Islamic State commanders killed in Afghanistan air strike: U.S. military
- Author: Jack Mann Aug 14, 2017,
Aug 14, 2017, 1:33
An air raid conducted by foreign forces in Afghanistan has claimed the lives of at least 16 civilians in the eastern province of Nangarhar، which borders Pakistan، according to the PressTV.
"The death of Abdul Rahman deals yet another blow to the senior leadership of ISIS-K", said General John Nicholson, the senior U.S. commander in Afghanistan.
The United States on Saturday vehemently denied claims by Afghan officials that it had killed several civilians in an air strike in volatile eastern Afghanistan.
"The death of Abdul Rahman deals yet another blow to the senior leadership of ISIS-K", said General John Nicholson, the senior US commander in Afghanistan.
"The militants were observed loading weapons into a vehicle and were under surveillance until the vehicle was destroyed by an airstrike", said Bob Purtiman, a spokesman.
Nicholson has vowed to defeat Islamic State militants in Afghanistan this year.
Last month a U.S. air strike killed 16 policemen in Helmand province. The previous attack targeted a prayer ceremony, and the USA similarly claimed that the praying civilians were "ISIS members". Since its emergence, the terror group has targeted villages in several districts in the province, killing and abducting hundreds of people and setting their homes on fire.
Police authorities in Nangarhar last week arrested five minors - 10 to 15 years old, who were being transported by IS recruiters from Kunar to a Nangarhar's remote district for training purposes.
Despite some battlefield successes by Afghan and American special operations troops, ISIL has continued deadly attacks around Afghanistan, fuelling fears that the group is seeking to bring the group's Middle East conflict to Central Asia.
US President Donald Trump has been skeptical about the military campaign in Afghanistan.