China: 23 killed in landslide in Sichuan province, two missing
- Author: Jack Mann Aug 11, 2017,
Aug 11, 2017, 0:11
THE magnitude 7 quake that rocked Jiuzhaigou County in China's southwestern Sichuan Province late on Tuesday night has prompted some Malaysians to withdraw from upcoming tours to the picturesque Jiuzhai Valley or Jiuzhaigou.
Earthquakes are common in China's west, although casualties are generally low because of the sparse population density.
More than 1,000 people were dispatched to search for the missing people. In May 2008, an 8.0- magnitude natural disaster struck Wenchuan and killed more than 80,000 people.
Among the injured, 18 are in serious condition, according to the provincial government authorities.
The quake struck at a depth of 20km, according to the China Earthquake Networks Centre.
The 720-square-kilometre mountainous park, a UNESCO world heritage site known for its karst scenery and waterfalls, was closed when the quake struck at 9:19 pm on Tuesday (1319 GMT), it said.
The tourists were taken to safer areas including the cities of Mianyang and Chengdu.
The dead included eight tourists, two residents and nine whose identities have yet to be confirmed, state television said.
Firefighters stand to attention in Longnan, in China's Gansu province on August 8, 2017, as they prepare to head to Wenxian county after an natural disaster centered in neighboring Sichuan province.
CCTV said 10,500 people had been moved from damaged buildings to emergency shelters.
Stranded passengers rest at the departure hall of Jiuzhaigou airport. According to the Legal Evening News, they were acting out a scene about a deadly 2008 quake that struck nearby and killed almost 90,000 people. She added that the damage in the town center seemed minimal other than the suspension of electricity.
He said at present, most of the visitors at Jiuzhaigou are Chinese nationals, China Press reported.