Teen dies from brain-eating amoeba infection after visit to Whitewater Center

There are zero to eight infections in this country from parasitic amoebas each year and almost all are fatal, according to the U.S. Centers of Disease Control and Prevention. The NC Department of Health and Human Services believes that Seitz was exposed to water when a raft she and several others were riding overturned.

State and county health officials are working with the CDC and the water park to investigate the death.

The water is filtered and disinfected with chlorine and ultraviolent radiation sufficient to "inactivate" the amoeba, which a centre statement described as 99.99% effective. The organism is not harmful if swallowed, but it can be fatal if it travels to the brain through the nose.

Make checks payable to "The Lauren Elisabeth Seitz Memorial Music Fund" and send to First Financial Bank, 780 South State St. Westerville, OH 43081.

In rare cases, people can become infected if they use contaminated tap water when they use sinus rinsing devices. "There can be amoeba on one side of a lake, but not the other". "A person cannot be infected with Naegleria fowleri by drinking contaminated water and the amoeba is not found in salt water", NCDHHS said.

Early symptoms of the infection include severe frontal headache, fever, nausea and vomiting, and then later a stiff neck, seizures, coma and more.

"The risk of Naegleria fowleri infection is very low".

People can not get infected by the brain-eating amoeba from drinking contaminated water.

From 2006 to 2015, there were just 37 cases ofNaegleria fowleri infection in the United States, even though millions of people go swimming each year, according to the CDC.

Seitz had contracted primary amebic mengioencephalitis, a rare but fatal brain infection caused by the amoeba Naegleria fowleri.

The Latest on the death of an OH woman after a visit to the U.S.

Do officials test for amoeba in bodies of water?

Of 133 people known to have been infected since 1962, only three people survived, according to the CDC's website.

This picture shows an infection of the amoeba Naegleria fowleri, seen under a microscope and stained with a fluorescent antibody.

It's important to point out that infections of this nature are exceedingly rare, with just 138 cases having been reported in the U.S.in the past half-century. The teen visited the U.S. National Whitewater Center in Charlotte, N.C., on June 8, and by June 19, she was dead. The organism may also be found in warm pools that are not properly chlorinated, and in water heaters, the CDC says. While there are some behaviors that are associated with it, jumping into water and getting it up your nose or using a Neti-Pot with water that hasn't been sterilized, the majority of people who do these things don't develop PAM. Infection usually occurs when the water temperature is over 80 degrees.

  • Rogelio Lindsey